WAT SUTHAT AND THE GIANT SWING
Wat Suthat and The Giant Swing
Go down Maha Chai Road and turn right into Bamrung Muang Road to reach Wat Suthat and the Giang Swing. Constructed in the first half of the 19th century, Wat Suthat is remarkable for its two large and impressive buildings, its superb murals and its collection of Buddha images.
Among the latter is the massive Phra Buddha Chakyamuni, originally from Sukhothai and a master piece of that period's sculpture.
Opposite Wat Suthat are the red-painted 25m (82ft) twin polesof the Giant Swing, known as Sao Ching Cha, relic of a daring former Brahmanic ritual.
Teams of four young men would swing until they were level with the top of the poles. The ceremony was abolished in 1935.