GENERAL INFORMATION PHILIPPINES
General Information On The Philippines
The Philippines is made up of 7,107 islands covering a land area of 115,739 sq. m ( 299,764 sq km.) Main island groups are Luzon, Visayas, and Mindanao.
The capital of the Philippines is Manila. Time zone is GMT + 8 hours.
The average temperate in the Philippines is between 78 degrees Fahrenheit / 25 degrees Celsius to 90 degrees Fahrenheit / 32 degrees Celsius.
The country is marked by a true blend of culture, truly in the Philippines, East meets West. The background of the people is Indonesian and Malay.
There are Chinese and Spanish elements as well. The history of American rule and contact with merchants and traders culminated in a unique blend of East and West, both in the appearance and culture of the Filipinos, or people of the Philippines.
Ethnic Groups In Philippines
Hospitality, a trait displayed by every Filipino, makes these people legendary in Southeast Asia.
Seldom can you find such hospitable people who enjoy the company of their Western visitors.
Perhaps due to their long association with Spain, Filipinos are emotional and passionate about life in a way that seems more Latin than Asian.
There are a total of 76.5 million Filipinos as of the latest national census in May, 2000. Population growth is estimated at 2.36 percent annually.
Luzon, the largest island group, accounts for more than half of the entire population.
Two official languages - Filipino and English. Filipino which is based on Tagalog, is the national language. English is also widely used and is the medium of instruction in higher education.
Like any living language, Filipino is in a process of development through loans from Philippine languages and non-native languages for various situations, among speakers of different social backgrounds, and for topics for conversation and scholarly discourse.
There are about 76 to 78 major language groups, with more than 500 dialects.
Some 80% of Filipinos are Catholic. About 15% are Muslims. The rest are made up of smaller Christian denominations and Buddhist.
Unit of Measure
The Metric System is used in most trade and legal transactions.
Electricity Used In Philippines
220 volts a/c is the ocmmon standard in the Philippines. 110 volts a/c is also used, especially in major hotels.
The Philippines's monetary unit is the peso, divided into 100 centavos.
Foreign currency may be exchanged at any hotels, most large departmental stores, banks, and authorized money changing shops accredited by the Central Bank of the Philippines.
International credit cards such as Visa, Diners Club, Bank Americard, Master Card, and American Express are accepted in major establishments.
Philippines Bus Guide Menu
- Philtranco Bus From Pasay City, Manila to Clark
- Philtranco Bus From Pasay City, Manila to Iriga
- Philtranco Bus From Quezon City, Manila to Davao
- Philtranco Bus From Manila to Sorsogon City, Bicol
- Philtranco Bus From Manila to Camarines Sur
- Philtranco Bus From Manila to Legazpi City
- Philtranco Bus From Manila to Tacloban City
- Philtranco Bus From Manila to Leyte, Eastern Visayas
- Philtranco Bus From Manila to Iloilo City
- Philtranco Bus From Manila to Cagayan De Oro City
- Philtranco Bus From Manila to Davao City
- Victory Liner Bus Schedules and Fares
- RSL Bus From Quezon City, Manila to Legazpi City
- Penafrancia Tours Bus From Quezon City, Manila to Sorsogon City
- Penafrancia Tours Bus From Quezon City, Manila to Camarines Sur
- Penafrancia Tours Bus From Quezon City, Manila to Legazpi City
- Victory Liner Bus Schedule And Fares In Cubao Bus Terminal
- Victory Liner Bus Schedule And Fares In Pasay Bus Terminal
- Victory Liner Bus From Manila to Baguio
- Victory Liner Bus From Manila to Tuguegarao City
- Cherry Bus From Puerto Princesa to El Nido
- DLTB Bus From Metro Manila to Camarines Sur
- DLTB Bus From Quezon City Manila to Iriga
- DLTB Bus From Manila to Sorsogon City, Bicol
- DLTB Bus From Manila to Legazpi City, Bicol
- Genesis Bus From Quezon City, Manila to Clark
- Genesis Bus From Quezon City, Manila to Baler
- Genesis Bus From Manila to Baguio
- RSL Bus From Quezon City, Manila to Sorsogon City
- RSL Bus From Quezon City, Manila to Camarines Sur
- Isarog Line Bus From Quezon City, Manila to Camarines Sur
- Isarog Line Bus From Quezon City, Manila to Legazpi City
- Cagsawa Bus From Quezon City, Manila to Naga, Camarines Sur
- Cagsawa Bus From Quezon City, Manila to Legazpi City
- Megabus Line Corp
- Victory Liner Bus Schedule And Fares In Caloocan Bus Terminal
- Victory Liner Bus Schedule And Fares In Kamias Bus Terminal
Philippines Travel Guide Menu
- Shopping Guide In The Philippines
- Restaurants In The Philippines
- Philippines Golf Travel Guide
- Philippines Diving Guide
- Philippines Hotels Guide
- Philippines Resorts Guide
- Philippines Cagayan Valley Adventure Tour
- Philippines Banaue Ifugao Tour
- Philippines Laoag City Tour
- Philippines Southern Luzon Tour
- Philippines Puerto Galera Tour
- Philippines Boracay Island Tour
- Philippines Bohol and Panglao Island Tour
- Philippines Cebu City Tour
- Philippines Mactan Island Tour
- General Information On Philippines
- Philippines Entry Regulations
- Worldwide Embassies' Offices In Philippines
- Philippines City Tour
- Philippines Museum Tour
- Philippines Night Lights Tour
- Philippines Badian Island Cebu Tour
- Philippines Malapascua Island Cebu Tour
- Philippines Northern Palawan Tour
- Philippines Davao and Samal Island Tour
- Philippines Siargao Island Tour
- Philippines Taal Area Tour
- Philippines Hiking Tours Mt Pinatubo
- Philippines Airlines
- Philippines Bus Terminals
- Philippines Laguna Pilgrimage Tour
- Philippines Corregidor Tour
- Philippines Pagsanjan Gorge And Falls Tour
- Philippines Subic Tour
- Philippines Tagaytay Ridge Tour
- Philippines Villa Escudero Coconut Plantation Tour
- Philippines Car Rentals
- Philippines Shipping Lines
- Philippines Shipping Lines 2
- Airport Pickup Transfer Services
- Koronadal Travel Guide
- Makati Travel Guide
- Spa Guide and Directory
- Nightlife and Casino Guide
- Koronadal Investor Guide
- Restaurants in Makati Guide